Installing a crowdsourcing platform in your organization is just one step towards making your organization grow and become successful. The other step, however, is understanding that the journey is long and, perhaps, costly. It is an investment, however, and one that is likely to pay off, but you have to be realistic about that. Additionally, once you have put innovation and crowdsourcing platforms in place, you must also ensure that the process becomes sustainable.
Sustainability, in this context, is about being able to keep things going. If you are unable to develop sustainable innovation, then you may as well not bother. In fact, this will be more like a “hit or miss” situation. You are likely to either succeed, and think that you have done everything right, but then actually do it wrong by not continuing; or you will fail and believe that it is proof that innovation is not for you. In reality, however, by employing the benefits of crowdsourcing software, you will be able to step miles ahead of your competition and grow your organization as a whole.
So how is this done?
How to Make Crowdsourcing and Innovation Sustainable
There are, simply put, seven steps towards creating sustainable innovation through crowdsourcing platforms. Those are:
- You must make sure that the process aligns properly with your overall organizational strategy.
- You need to make sure that the executive team is on board and promotes the ideas.
- You must have a clearly defined management process in place, so that you know exactly how you will ask for ideas, what you will ask for, how you suggest good solutions, and so on.
- You need to have a team in place with clearly defined roles and responsibilities, so that everybody knows what to do. This also increases transparency.
- You have to define the metrics. These can be entered into your crowdsourcing platform, so that it knows exactly which ideas are suitable for further consideration, and which ones are not.
- You must be ready to always improve. If you believe innovation or crowdsourcing ends once an idea has been created an implemented, you are wrong. That is the “hit and miss” scenario previously discussed and will not actually innovate your business as a whole.
- You need to change your company’s culture, so that the value of ideas, presented either from within the organization itself through innovation software, or from outside of the organization through crowdsourcing software, or both for that matter.
Perhaps the most important thing of all is that your organizational culture is properly aligned with what you are doing. If you are going to bring in outside ideas through crowdsourcing software, then you also need to make sure that everybody is on board with that, and that people know that the ideas that are generated valid and appreciated. It is particularly important that you get your leaders and managers on board with the idea as well.